Building & Permitting staff review building plans and provide technical inspections in order to ensure every building project in the City conforms to the appropriate codes and regulations.
House Bill 1307 allows the use of Private Providers for building plans examination and inspections. Please check this link for important information about the use of Private Providers in the City of Sarasota; and if you wish to use Private Providers, fill out these Private Provider Forms and Affidavit. Submit the completed forms to the City's Building Department.
Current Building Code in Effect
Effective December 31, 2017
2017 Residential Building Code
- Minimum Requirements for New Commercial Construction & Additions
- Minimum Requirements for Commercial Alterations and Renovation
On December 31, 2017 the 2017 Florida Building Code took effect. Below is the link to the Florida Building Commission:
Sarasota County Property Appraiser (Property Look-up)
Applying for a Building Permit
- Learn When a Building Permit Is Needed
- Email your completed Sub Form, Notice of Commencement & Roofing Affidavit to subnocroof@sarasotaFL.gov
Building Permit Forms
- Building & Zoning Building Permit Application
- Air Conditioning Permits
- Notice of Commencement-Requirements and Form
- Notice of Termination of the Notice of Commencement
- Water & Sewer Application
- Sewer Test Contractor Affidavit
- Transmittal Form
- Permit Withdrawal Form
- New Commercial Construction-2017 Checklist
- Alterations/Renovations Commercial Building-Checklist
- Commercial Building-Staging Requirements
- Fire Alarm-Checklist
- Fee Schedule
- Current Water/Sewer Impact & Connection Fees
- Current Multimodal Impact Fees
- Multimodal Impact Fees Effective July 1, 2017
- Link to Current Impact Fees
- FEMA 50% RULE - Information & Application for Substantial Damage or Improvement
- Floodplain Management Ordinance
Pools & Docks
- Requirements for Pools
- Contractor Checklist for Pools
- Contractor COMPLIANCE Info for Pools
- Checklist for Dock Construction
- New Residential Home Package-INSTRUCTIONS
- New Residential Home Package-FORMS
- Residential Homeowner REMODEL-Checklist
- Kitchen Cabinet Replacement-Requirements
- Staging Plan Requirements
- Low Voltage for 1 & 2 Family Residences
- Implications of Acting as Your Own Contractor
Residents: Your Neighborhood Association may require compliance with their Rules and Regulations governing construction on your property. Please check with your Association officials prior to applying for a Building Permit. If you live on Bird Key please be sure the form below is submitted with your Building Permit application.
Utilities Department (COSUD) Forms and Applications
- Utilities Department Checklist
- Utility Request Application Form
- Water Demand and Meter Size Determination Form
- New Building Hydraulic Information Sheet
- Utilities Construction Permit Application
- Backflow Prevention Assembly Test Report
- 2-Year Contractor Registration Form and Instructions
- 2-Year Contractor Registration Renewal Form
- Agent Authorization-Form
- Change of Contractor Form
Contractor Registration Information
State Certified Contractors: Are required to register with the City of Sarasota and provide proper credentials to include: copy of Certified State License, proof of Certificate of Liability insurance and Workers’ Compensation Insurance or exemptions. There is no fee for Certified Contractors.
State Registered Contractors: Are required to register with the City of Sarasota and provide credentials to include: copy of Registered License, copy of Letter of Reciprocity from Sarasota County, Copy of Certificate of Liability Insurance and Workers’ Compensation. Note that the signature on the Contractor’s Affidavit must be sworn and notarized. For convenience, City Staff includes a notary public with a fee. An Original application form may not be faxed and must be mailed to the City of Sarasota Building Department, 1565 First Street, Sarasota, FL 34236 or brought in person to the Building Department. Contractors must renew their registration by October 1st every two years. Registration fee is $50.00.
Specialty Tradespersons [anyone who performs work under contract within the City of Sarasota and whose trade or craft is not certified or registered by the State of Florida] are required to register prior to pulling a permit or performing work. This primarily affects landscape contractors, tree removal services, painters, drywall contractors, framing contractors and other skilled craftsmen and craftswomen whose trade is not registered with the State. Specialty Tradespersons must provide proof of liability insurance [$50,000 per person/$100,000 per occurrence], proof of Worker´s Compensation Insurance [or an exemption by the State of Florida Waiver Form BCM 204]. If you have taken a local examination and have received a competency card from your jurisdiction, please provide a copy of that card. Registering as a Specialty Tradesperson provides the ability to use authorized agents as discussed above. The registration fee is $150.00 every 2 years. Specialty Tradespersons must renew their registration by October 1st every two years.
Note that Contractors and Specialty Tradespersons are subject to Local Business Tax Receipt if their business is operated from a location within the City of Sarasota City Limits. For most Contractors/Specialty Tradespersons, the cost is approximately $50.00 annually depending on your business location and classification. For more information, see below.
Note: The Inspections Line Hours of Operation are Monday - Friday, 7:30 am - 3:30 pm; Call 941-954-4126.
- Request Inspections by Email Instructions
- Temporary CO Request-Form & Instructions
- Temporary Permanent Power Form
- Aluminum Construction-Minimum Requirements
- Fences and Walls-Checklist
- Moving a Structure-Checklist
- Permit-EXTENSION Request
- SAMPLE Site Plan
- Temporary Signs
- Solar Checklist
Building & Fire Board of Rules and Appeals
The Board of Rules and Appeals was established to:
- hear appeals
- approve alternative standards to various model building codes
- certify contractors
- hear and decide whether or not to suspend or revoke a contractor certificate of competency
- deny issuance or renewal of certificates
- to impose fines
- deny the issuance of building permits for cause.
The Board consists of 9 members each possessing the specific technical and professional skills necessary to accomplish the work of the board. Meetings are generally held once per quarter in the Building Department Conference Room.