The City of Sarasota Utilities Department works to enhance the quality of life of all residents by providing safe, reliable drinking water, wastewater collection, and reclaimed water to our customers. This involves daily operational and maintenance activities and Utility Construction Projects.
The Utilities Department is regulated by the Southwest Florida Water Management District, the Florida Department of Environmental Protection and the Sarasota County Health Department to ensure the Department complies with groundwater usage requirements, potable water quality standards and treated wastewater quality requirements.
- Pay My Utility Bill
- Utility Rates, water connection, billing questions
- Utilities Permitting and Field Services
- Backflow Prevention Program
- Utility Projects
- Water Quality Reports (Consumer Quality Report)
Sarasota County Utilities: 941-861-6790
Outdoor Watering Restrictions
The City of Sarasota has adopted the Southwest Florida Water Management District (SWFWMD) water restrictions:
City residents will be under lawn watering restrictions beginning Tuesday after the Southwest Florida Water Management District (SWFWMD) issued a water shortage order in response to recent rainfall shortages.
The order is effective May 12 through July 1. For all water sources except for reclaimed water, the lawn watering restrictions are as follows:
- Even-numbered addresses may water Thursday and Sunday before 10 a.m. and after 4 p.m.
- Odd-numbered addresses may water Wednesday and Saturday before 10 a.m. and after 4 p.m.
- Common areas may be watered on Tuesday and Friday before 10 a.m. and after 4 p.m.
- Hand watering and micro-irrigation of plants (other than lawns) can be done anytime.
For new lawns and plants, watering can be performed as follows:
- On the day of installation, watering is permissible anytime that day.
- For the next 30 days, watering can be performed on any day before 10 a.m. and after 4 p.m.
- For the next 30 days, watering can be performed as follows:
- Even-numbered addresses on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday before 10 a.m. and after 4 p.m.
- Odd-numbered addresses on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday before 10 a.m. and after 4 p.m.
- Common areas on Tuesday, Friday and Sunday before 10 a.m. and after 4 p.m.
To help with the water shortage, residents are asked to check their irrigation systems for leaks and eliminate wasteful water use, such as hosing down driveways or other surfaces or allowing water to flow unattended.
There are no specific restrictions on fountains, car washing or pressure washing, but these should be done as efficiently as possible to prevent waste. There are no restrictions on the use of reclaimed water for watering outdoors.
Citizens who do not comply with the watering restrictions could be subject to enforcement, including civil penalties of up to $500 per violation under the City code.
For more information about the SWFWMD order, visit WaterMatters.org/Restrictions.
For more information about the City’s ordinance or questions about the restrictions, visit SarasotaFL.gov/government/utilities or call the Utilities Department at 941-263-6224. (This number is for questions regarding the ordinance or the watering restrictions.) For all other inquiries, please use the number below:
1750 12th Street
Sarasota, FL 34236
Office Hours of Operation:
Monday through Friday: 8am to 5pm
After Hours Emergency: 941-263-6884