Our collective mission is to protect the health, safety and general welfare of the citizens by enforcing building, zoning, housing and other City codes. The Department works with communities and public agencies alike to preserve and shape a safe, vital, and well planned urban environment.
Through fair and thorough enforcement of local codes and standards, we help facilitate an attractive, clean, and aesthetically pleasing city. We work to keep the City of Sarasota the best small city in the country by investigating complaints quickly and thoroughly and policing neighborhoods and commercial areas alike.
Common Code Violations
- Accumulation of Junk, Trash and Rubbish – being a good neighbor is keeping your property free of discarded items, tree limbs and palm fronds.
- Overgrowth – for a property to be deemed overgrown, it must be in excess of 10” if there is a structure on the site and 12” if it is a vacant lot.
- RV and Boat Parking – of course you are allowed to park your recreational vehicles. We just ask that you park them behind the front plane of your house or in the back yard.
- Trash Cans – trash cans and recycling bins must be stored behind the front plane of your house.
- Unregistered Vehicles – the city requires that all vehicles that are meant to be driven on the road are properly tagged, licensed and operational.
Report a Code Violation
To report a code violation you may:
- Submit it online through the Citizen Portal
- Email us
- Call the Code Compliance Division at (941)263-6417
- Send a letter addressed to:
City of Sarasota Code Compliance
Annex Bldg 2nd Floor
1565 1st Street
Note: Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing. E-mail messages sent or received by City of Sarasota officials and employees in connection with official City business are public records subject to disclosure under the Florida Public Records Act.