The Parking District Purpose
The St. Armands Parking District was developed in mutual cooperation with the Business Improvement District of St. Armands, The St. Armands Merchant Association, St. Armands Key Residents Association, and The City of Sarasota. The parking district was developed as a means for managing parking capacity and providing overall improvement to St. Armands Key by reducing vehicle congestion and circling, and easier and quicker parking access. Revenues from the metered parking spaces are directed only to fund the debt service on the new parking garage, operations and future needs of the St. Armands parking district. The merchant and owners of stores also provide direct funding responsibility through annual assessment for the new parking garage.
The paid parking program ensures adequate parking spots are available for customers near their desired parking location and helps manage the parking space supply in the district. The parking customer’s payment helps pay for operations and debt service on the new garage. Excess revenues will be used to identify new programs that benefit the district and enhance customer experience while shopping and dining.
A great way to pay for metered spaces is using the ParkMobile App. You can now skip going to the meter and pay by phone wherever you are: in a space, at a store, or while finishing desert at a restaurant.
To use ParkMobile, simply download the app and setup an account. When parking, enter the zone number located on signs where you are parked to activate your time. There is a small convenience fee added for each mobile app transaction. You can use the app to notify you when the parking time expires and add time from wherever you are.
Parking Pay Stations
Pay Stations as easy to use as an ATM. The stations use touch screens, accept coins and credit cards, and require selection of the appropriate parking zone. Zone structure are divided in three categories:
Green $1.50 per hour
Yellow $1.00 per hour
Filmore Lot $ 0.75 per hour
Parking for the Disabled (handicap parking)
The State of Florida mandates that on-street metered parking be provided free for up to 4 hours for individuals with a valid disabled placard, and for DMV plates. Parking is permitted without payment at any on-street location with or without meters, so long as the valid users is displaying a permit.
Time Restricted Parking Spaces
There are many marked and un-marked spaces available for on-street parking. In St. Armands, most notable time restrictions are in the adjacent neighborhoods. Extended use of public parking in neighborhoods is not intended, and therefore a time restriction of one hour (1), Monday through Saturday, from 9 a.m. until 8 p.m. is in effect. Time restrictions exclude city holidays and Sundays.
Please be sure to observe and comply with all posted signs and be aware of parking laws which are not always posted.
Un-Restricted Parking Spaces
Located on North and South Boulevard of the Presidents, a block from the Circle, the city provides nearly 200 free, and unrestricted parking spaces. These spaces are a short walk from the Madison Drive to the north, and Monroe Drive to the south.
Other important parking notes:
• Motorcycle parking is available throughout St. Armands Circle. Please note the difference between motorcycle parking spaces, regular metered spaces, and disabled parking access spaces. Motorcycles which use a metered space must pay for parking as would any vehicle. Motorcycles wishing to use the public parking garages should look for the “free” motorcycle corral at each facility to avoid interference and trouble with gates and roaming for space in a garage.
• No overnight RV Parking is permitted, and vehicles need to fit within the allowed parking spaces.
• The city works very hard protecting public access to parking spaces. The City of Sarasota parking code 33-118 prohibits a parker from relocating from one space to another within a one block radius in any direction of the original parking space, including both sides of the relevant streets. This ordinance applies in off-street parking facilities as well.
• Where spaces are lined, parking within the designated space is required under local ordinance. This is done to ensure the most efficient use of parking and make more spaces available and easier for everyone to find. If a vehicle wheel is outside of the designated space/line, this could cause a safety hazard and prevent other parking customers from adequately gaining access to the adjacent parking space.
• For any commercial vendor service that requires on-street access beyond the time limit, right of way permits may be obtained by contacting the Engineering Division at 941.365.2200, ext 4375. More information can be obtained here.
The St. Armands Parking District is legislated under city Ordinance 16-5174. The ordinance outlines the specific purpose of revenues and how they may be used to repay bond financing for the parking structure project in St. Armands and retain all net proceeds within the enterprise account for use only in the district. Attached are the most current financials approved by the Finance Department of the City.