Current Planning staff, through review of new development projects, ensures that the long-range plans of the City are implemented and that new development adheres to the City´s codes and regulations. Every new project is different and City Planners work with developers, architects, engineers, attorneys and neighborhood representatives to achieve a balanced integration between new development and the built environment.
The Development Review Committee (DRC ) is composed of City Staff from various Departments/Divisions. The DRC:
- Meets on the first and third Wednesday of every month to coordinate and analyze requests for development approval, such as rezonings and site plans.
- Meetings begin at 9:00 a.m. and are typically held in the City Commission Chambers in City Hall.
- Meetings are open to the public however participation is limited to committee members, unless a committee member requests information of an applicant (Reference: Zoning Code, Section III-603)
- NOTE: The Florida Legislature adopted House Bill No. 7103, effective 6/28/19. As a result, the processing of development applications has changed significantly. The meeting schedule and submission deadline chart has been revised accordingly. View the meeting schedule and submission deadlines for August 2019 through December 2020 (updated 8/26/19): DRC Meeting Schedule and Agenda Deadlines Under HB 7103
- View the meeting schedule and submission deadlines for development applications that are not subject to the provisions of HB 7103: DRC Meeting Schedule and Agenda Deadlines
- View a listing of the current members: DRC Committee Members
- View status of in process development applications: Development Application Status Report
The Planning Board / Local Planning Agency holds public hearings and makes recommendations to the City Commission on a variety of development applications and related issues including:
- Proposed amendments to the Sarasota City Plan (2030) and the Sarasota Zoning Code (2002 Ed.);
- Ordinances and regulations governing development of land in the City;
- Whether proposed development conforms to the principles and requirements of the Sarasota City Plan (2030).
Planning Board members are volunteers appointed by the City Commission to serve three-year terms. Members of the Planning Board are required to be City residents who do not hold any public position or office in City Government.
- View the 2020 meeting schedule: 2020 Planning Board Meeting Schedule
- Send a message to the Board members:Contact Your Board Members
- View the guidelines:Planning Board Guidelines
- View the Rules of Procedure: Planning Board Rules of Procedure
Board of Adjustment - Variance Application
The Board of Adjustment has the authority to decide appeals of any written determination or interpretation of the Zoning Code by the Director of Development Services and to grant variances from the regulations of the Zoning Code if they have resulted in an unnecessary or undue hardship. The Board of Adjustment consists of 5 members who are volunteers appointed by the City Commission to serve three-year terms. Members of the Board are required to be City residents who do not hold any public position or office in City Government. Generally, the Board meets on the last Wednesday of each month at 1:30 p.m.