We are fortunate to have many local resources and organizations available to help make sustainable choices! This webpage is meant to be a list of possible actions and resources for you to lead a low-impact lifestyle.
- Take a sustainability-related class through Sarasota County’s Extension office. Class topics range from canning, vegetable gardening, nutrition, solar energy, electric vehicles and much more.
- Contact Florida Power and Light by visiting their website or calling 1-800-342-5375 to schedule a FREE in-person home energy audit. If your home is within the City of Sarasota you’ll even get a free bag of energy efficiency items to help with your energy upgrades.
- Want to garden but don’t have the land available? Or maybe you like to garden with friends. Visit Sarasota County’s Extension website or call 941-861-5000 to learn if there is a community garden near you.
- Wondering if something if recyclable or not? Visit our solid waste and recycling website and click on the 'Be Cart Smart' tab where you can input any item into a search bar and it will tell you exactly how to best dispose of it.
- Don’t use fertilizer within 10 feet of any water body or wetland. Also, don’t use fertilizer containing nitrogen or phosphorus on turf or landscapes between June 1 and September 30 each year. Nitrogen fertilizer must container at least 50 percent slow release nitrogen. Don’t put grass clippings or vegetative material in storm drains or ditches. Read the fertilizer ordinance for more information.
- Contact Florida Power and Light by visiting their website or calling 800-342-5375 to receive more information on how to be more energy efficient, including getting a FREE in-person energy audit and help identifying what incentives may be available to you.
- Join the City of Sarasota and over 200 local businesses by becoming a Green Business Partner the County’s partnership program. The Green Business Partnership Program helps businesses look at their operations and identify ways to be more sustainable. Learn more by calling 941-861-500 and asking for the Green Business Partnership Coordinator.
- Make sure your business is recycling. Visit the recycling-specific webpage to find more information or call a recycling vendor to set-up your service today.