Social Media Comment Policy: Rules of Engagement
Stay on topic and be nice:
This page is intended to be a limited public forum in which the City retains discretion to limit the subjects being discussed. While we encourage you to share your thoughts—whether supportive or critical—we ask that you limit your comments to the topics presented. We also ask that you be respectful and courteous in your comments, avoiding vulgar, abusive and defamatory language, and that you comply with the City of Sarasota Comment Policy stated below. A posting on this page constitutes acceptance of these terms.
City of Sarasota Comment Policy:
User-generated posts may be subject to rejection or removal when the content:
• is off-topic
• contains obscenity
• contains offensive terms that target protected classes
• is threatening, harassing or discriminatory
• incites or promotes violence or illegal activities
• contains information that reasonably could compromise individual or public safety
• advertises or promotes a commercial product or service, or a commercial entity or individual
• promotes or endorses political campaigns or candidates
• contains confidential or proprietary information that is unlawful to disclose
Public Records Law:
The City of Sarasota’s social media sites are subject to applicable public records laws contained in Chapter 119, Florida Statutes. Any content maintained in a social media format related to agency business, including communication posted by the Agency and communication received from citizens, is a public record subject to disclosure.
Comments posted by others do not reflect the opinions or policies of the City of Sarasota or its Departments. Comments posted by City employees are not intended as official policy statements unless the employee is authorized to speak on behalf of the City or Department. No endorsement of a commercial enterprise is intended by the inclusion of others’ comments on this page, the “liking” or “friending” of a commenter, or the inclusion of a link to another’s page or website.
The City of Sarasota makes no legal promises or representations regarding the accuracy or completeness of the information contained on this site. Additionally, the City does not offer any express or implied warranty as to the fitness or use of this information.