Establishment: Article III, Division 4, Zoning Code
Board Membership - Qualifications and Other Requirements
- The members shall consist of the following:
- two members - licensed architects from the local chapter or the American Institute of Architects, or one such architect and one licensed architect from the local chapter of the American Institute of Landscape Architects
- one member - a general or specialty contractor holding a current certificate of registration in accordance with Ordinance No. 82-2612, or who is a registered professional engineer
- one member - from the local finance or business community
- one member - from the Florida Bar Association
- one member - a practicing professional historian or archaeologist or who holds a degree in history, art history or archaeologist
- one member - from the community at large
- Members of the historic preservation board shall not be city employees and shall not hold an elected public office in city government. At least five (5) of the seven (7) members of the board shall be residents of the City of Sarasota or shall own property located within the city.
- Members should have reputations for integrity and community service, as well as have demonstrated an interest in the type of activity pertaining to the purpose of the Board. Members should also be representative of the community-at-large and reflect the racial, ethnic and cultural makeup of the community.
- The City Commission makes appointments from submitted applications.
- No person shall serve on more than one Board simultaneously unless special board membership requirements, pertaining to special qualifications of members, warrant an exception.
- Board members shall be appointed for a three-year term. Terms of service shall be staggered. No person shall serve more than two full consecutive terms on any one Board. Members shall continue to serve until a replacement has been appointed. After a one year period of non-membership, a person shall become eligible for reappointment to a Board on which that person previously served.
- A board member shall be automatically removed from board membership at such time as the member's absences exceed twenty-five (25) percent of all scheduled board meetings, including workshop meetings, in a given calendar year unless the board, by majority vote, plus one (1), waives an absence by finding that unusual circumstances exist which warrant a waiver. A board member shall be considered not to have attended any meeting for which the member was not present for at least seventy-five (75) percent of the time the meeting was in session. Departments responsible for boards shall monitor attendance of board members and shall notify the subject board member when that member's absences, less those waived, exceed fifteen (15) percent of the scheduled meetings held. At that time, the department director or designee shall give notice in writing to the subject board member that automatic removal will occur if absences exceed twenty-five (25) percent of all scheduled meetings in a given calendar year. At such time as a member's absences exceed twenty-five (25) percent of all scheduled meetings, the department director or designee shall notify the city auditor and clerk who shall advise the subject member in writing that the member has automatically been removed from board membership.
- This board consists of seven members.
- Meetings are generally held on the second Tuesday of each month at 3:00 p.m.in the City Commission Chambers.
Contact Person: Steven Cover, Director of Planning, Phone: (941) 365-2200 ext. 4171.