The general purpose, powers, functions and duties of the District will be to improve the Downtown Core of the City of Sarasota.
The District has the following goals:
- Contract with the City to obtain a higher level of service for trash collection, removing litter and graffiti, washing sidewalks, trimming trees and planting flowers.
- Contract with the City to improve the downtown ambiance with pedestrian-scale lighting, street furniture and continuous streetscape reinvestment as well as the care of the trees and flowers.
- Envision and develop a strategic plan with goals and specific objectives as well as timelines for completion of same.
- Make recommendations to the City Commission regarding management of private activity in public spaces such as sidewalk vending, street furniture and performances and assist with monitoring code compliance.
- Make recommendations to the City Commission regarding the public parking system and transient activity within the District.
- Recruit and retain businesses by offering financial incentives for new and expanding businesses, conducting market research and providing data reports, retail/office space lease and property sales marketing information.
- Welcome downtown consumers with high visibility, uniformed street guides and staffed sidewalk hospitality kiosks.
- Market the downtown by producing festivals and events, maps, newsletters coordinating sales promotions, image enhancement and advertising campaigns.
The Board is assisted and supported by the Neighborhood and Development Services Department.