The Long-Range Planning Division is responsible for developing, evaluating, and maintaining the City´s Comprehensive Plan, also known as the Sarasota City Plan. The Sarasota City Plan is a broad policy document that prescribes how the City will develop in future years. The first comprehensive plan was developed in 1925 by John Nolen. John Nolen was a well-known urban planner of his day. Updates to the Comprehensive Plan were produced in 1960, 1972, 1979, 1986, 1989, 1998, and most recently in 2005.
Beginning in 1979, Comprehensive Plans were prepared under the guidelines of the State of Florida´s Local Government Comprehensive Planning Act of 1975. This Act was amended in 1985 by the Local Government Comprehensive Planning and Land Development Regulation Act, commonly referred to as the "Growth Management Act"; and Plans are now prepared under the guidelines of the "Growth Management Act".
Sarasota City Plan (2030) [Comprehensive Plan]
On December 1, 2008 the City Commission adopted Ordinance No. 08-4792, which revised the Sarasota City Plan  to the Sarasota City Plan . Support Documents for each Chapter are included in the Plan, although the Support Documents are not formally adopted by the City Commission. For additional information on the Sarasota City Plan (2030) or citizen involvement in the comprehensive planning process, call Planning at (941) 954-4175
A representation of the table of contents is provided below and includes separate links to each chapter.
- Environmental Protection and Coastal Islands Table of Contents
- Environmental Protection and Coastal Islands Plan
- Environmental Protection and Coastal Islands Support Document
- Recreation and Open Space Table of Contents
- Recreation and Open Space Plan
- Recreation and Open Space Support Document
- Future Land Use Table of Contents
- Future Land Use Plan
- Future Land Use Support Document
- Future Land Use Map 2030 [as of December 2016]
- Existing Land Use Map
- Governmental Coordination Table of Contents
- Governmental Coordination Plan
- Governmental Coordination Support Document
- Capital Improvements Table of Contents
- Capital Improvements Plan
- Capital Improvements Support Document
- Historic Preservation Table of Contents
- Historic Preservation Plan
- Historic Preservation Support Document
- Public School Facilities Table of Contents
- Public School Facilities Plan
- Public School Facilities Support Document
Revisions to the Sarasota City Plan are adopted by the City Commission from time to time. Click here to view only the Updated Pages. The revisions have been incorporated in the Plan and Support Document Chapters in the table above.
Amendments to the Sarasota City Plan
The Sarasota City Plan amendment process guidelines and the calendar of events relating to amendments are located below.
The City processes Comprehensive Plan Amendments on an annual schedule that begins on the fourth Wednesday in May when a pre-application conference request form must be submitted. Once a pre-application conference and a community workshop are held, an applicant is eligible to file a formal application seeking to amend the Comprehensive Plan. The required forms are included in the City´s Development Approval Application Package.
- Population estimates for the City of Sarasota and Sarasota County from 1930 to 2016.