- Are you opening or operating a business located inside the City of Sarasota?
- Do you perform a profession that requires a state license or certification?
- Do you use your home address for your business inside the city limits?
If you answered yes to any of those questions, you need to have a Local Business Tax Receipt. This was previously called an Occupational License until the State of Florida changed the name to Local Business Tax in 2007.
Apply for the City of Sarasota Business Tax Receipt
Once you have:
- Registered your business with the FL Division of Corporations (sunbiz.org)
- Acquired a state license if required (are you a barber, cosmetologist, doctor, lawyer, CPA or any other occupation regulated by the state?)
- Selected a location within our city limits
- Complete the application for a Business, Home Based Business, Professional or Vendor
- Find out what the tax amount is for your business type: Fee Schedule
- Submit the application with documentation (proof of registration with the Division of Corporations and a copy of your state license, if applicable).
- After your application is approved, submit payment.
You can submit your application & payment one of three ways:
- By Mail: Address below (call to verify tax amount & make checks payable to City of Sarasota)
- In Person: Address below (8:00am - 4:30pm, Monday through Friday)
City of Sarasota Business Tax Division
Annex Bldg 2nd Floor
1565 1st Street
Your Business Tax Receipt will be mailed to you.
Local Business Tax Receipts are valid from October 1st through September 30th of the following year. We send out Renewal Notices in July for payment by October 1st.
Helpful Links and Additional Resources
- Department of Business & Professional Regulation
- Florida Division of Corporations
You will also need a Local Business Tax Receipt with Sarasota County. Contact the Sarasota County Tax Collector for more information.