Open house for US 41-Fruitville Road roundabout construction project to be held Oct. 1
Contact: Yvonne McClellan, public information liaison, (941) 275-9360, info@US41FruitvilleRoundabout.com
Sarasota, FL: The City of Sarasota invites the public to attend an informational open house meeting about the US 41-Fruitville Road roundabout construction project on Tuesday, October 1 from 5 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at the Grand Foyer of the Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall (777 N. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota, FL 34236).
The primary goal of the project is to improve connectivity, access, and safety for pedestrian, bicycle, and vehicular traffic flow as well as operations between downtown Sarasota and the Bayfront area. The project limits extend from First Street to Boulevard of the Arts on US 41 and on Fruitville Road from US 41 to Cocoanut Avenue.
The open house will also provide information about the rules of roundabouts and how to safely navigate two-lane roundabouts.
Improvements on this project include:
- Replacement of the signalized intersection at Fruitville Road with a new roundabout
- Construction of a 12-foot multi-use recreational trail on the west side of US 41 and a variable-width sidewalk on the east side of US 41
- Construction of raised islands for pedestrian refuge, installation of the HAWK pedestrian system, LED streetlights and enhanced landscaping
- Replacement of the City of Sarasota’s utility and underground drainage structures
- Replacement of privately-owned utilities and infrastructure
Construction is expected to begin in October 2019 and is anticipated to be complete in late fall 2020.
The two-lane roundabout is being constructed by Wright Construction Group, Inc. for the Quay Sarasota, on behalf of the City of Sarasota in cooperation with the Florida Department of Transportation.
About the City of Sarasota: Distinguished by US. News and World Report as the 18th Best Place to Live in the US., the City of Sarasota is a diverse community located on Florida’s Suncoast with 55,000 year-round residents, several internationally recognized cultural arts venues, stunning sunsets along Lido Beach, a 45-hole municipal golf course at the historic Bobby Jones Golf Club, and Major League spring training baseball with the Baltimore Orioles. Learn more about us at www.SarasotaFL.Gov